I was inspired by the cinnamon sugar donut I ate on Saturday to make my own cinnamon sugar muffins! This recipe is an adaptation of King Arthur Flour’s Doughnut Muffin recipe. I used egg whites instead of eggs, and soy milk instead of regular milk. I also doubled the amount of eggs, to make the liquid ratio the same as if I were to use real eggs. I changed the topping as well, in order to have it bake into the muffin rather than dipping it in the mixture after cooking.
This recipe is really easy, and takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish!
Healthy(er) Cinnamon Sugar Muffins
Makes 24 regular size muffins or 48 mini muffins
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar
4 egg whites
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 2/3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 cup soy milk (I use Simple Truth Organic Vanilla Light Soy Milk)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
1 tbsp. cinnamon
3 tbsp. sugar
1) Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly spray muffin tins with Pam.
2) In a medium-sized mixing bowl, cream together the butter, vegetable oil and sugars till smooth.
3) Add the eggs, beating to combine.
4) Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt and vanilla.
5) Stir the flour into the butter mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour and making sure everything is thoroughly combined. (I divided the flour into 3 parts and milk into 2)
6) Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared pan, filling the cups about 3/4 way full.
7) In a small bowl, mix together the cinnamon and sugar for the muffin topping. Cut the butter into chunks and put into the bowl with the cinnamon sugar mixture. Using your fingers, break up the butter into little chunks, making sure you coat the butter with the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Sprinkle on top of each muffin.
7) Bake regular-sized muffins for 12-14 minutes or mini muffins for 10-12. Muffins are ready when slightly browned at the top. Insert a cake tester into one of the center muffins to make sure it comes out clean.
8) Remove them from the oven, and let them cool for about 5 minutes before removing from pan.
Nutrition (for 1 large or 2 mini muffins): 136 calories; 6 g fat; 17 g carbs; 3 g protein