Greek food is something that I have been exploring lately. I bought an eggplant recently, and was trying to figure out what kind of dish that I could incorporate it with. Then, this salad came to be! Since I always crave salmon, I figured the eggplant would go great with salmon and quinoa.
Feel free to take out the salmon and replace it with your favorite protein, or just leave the meat out all together!
Greek Quinoa Salad
Makes about 4 servings
1 cup quinoa, dry
1 medium eggplant
2 tsp. olive oil
4 Salmon filets (I used Salmon burgers)
1 cucumber, chopped
2-3 cups spinach, cut into small strips
8 sun-dried tomatoes, sliced into small bits
1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat oven to 400 F. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. Cut eggplant into small chunks. Spread eggplant on baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Allow to sit for 15-30 minutes. Drizzle with olive oil.
3. Roast eggplant for 30 minutes.
4. In a saucepan over medium heat, add quinoa and 2 cups water. When water starts to simmer, bring heat to low and continue to cook with lid tilted for 15 minutes. Allow quinoa to sit for about 5 minutes, then stir to fluff.
5. Sprinkle salmon with salt and pepper. Cook on a non-stick skillet over medium heat for about 6 minutes a side. Allow to cool enough to break into small pieces.
6. In a large mixing bowl, combine the quinoa, eggplant, salmon, cucumber, spinach and sun-dried tomatoes. (If serving the salad chilled, place in fridge for at least an hour.)
7. In a small bowl, mix together extra-virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
8. When ready to serve, mix the olive oil dressing in with the quinoa mixture. Sprinkle with feta cheese.
9. May be served warm or chilled.